Monday, September 23, 2013

Week 11 - Inman, SC - 9/23/13



Well this week has been rather eventful! I mean I went to my first Zone Conference which was super awesome. It made me feel all pumped up and ready to do missionary work! It's not like we did a whole lot except for talk about missionary work but I think it was being in a total missionary environment where everyone I turned to was experiencing something similar to what I'm going through was just the best!

Other than that, I turned 20 1/2 last Tuesday! Yay for half birthdays! This family in my ward, the Kitchen's actually threw Sister Craig and I a half birthday party for us since both of our birthdays are in March. It was so great! Especially since they sang "Happy (Half) Birthday" to us. And get this! They even made funfetti cake for me! The best! I have some great people in my ward.

After we ate at the Kitchen's, we took Sister Kitchen out with us to visit some people in the ward since she's a ward missionary. Well it turns out that every person we planned on visiting was gone. We asked her if she had anyone in mind to go see and she asked if we could go visit the C family. We didn't really want to especially since the C's haven't contacted us since K came to church with us... So we thought that they hated us or something. But we went ahead and saw them anyway. It turns out that they don't hate us, K's phone just broke and they couldn't get a hold of us. Then we invited them to go to dinner with us the next night at a member's house and they said they would go!

So we got to the member's house the next day and I was praying that the C's would show up... And they did! They always surprise me! They really seemed to enjoy themselves and the members did a great job at making them feel comfortable about talking to them. The members didn't even bring up the gospel at first. The C's totally brought it up! It was so neat! We have a return appointment on Wednesday and I'll be sure to let you know how that goes :)

Also Sister Craig and I have been working with this less active, Sister H and she is nothing but wonderful. She was kind of offended by somethings that went on in the church so that's why she was driven away from it, but she loves us! We've been painting her fence and she'll pay us by feeding us. I guess she just thinks that's the greatest thing because she tells everyone about us - family, friends, co-workers, etc. She told us about that when we went over on Saturday! I mean she didn't really like the missionaries before us so the fact that she loves us is fantastic!

Sister H was talking to me about missionary work that day and asked me what the community could do for us since we do so much for it. I told her they could give me a Southern accent. ... Yeah. I really said that. She started teaching me some slang around here and it cracks me up! Like saying hose pipe instead of hose or buggy instead of a shopping cart. Oh goodness. She also feeds us a lot of Southern food like when we went over on Saturday, she let us try what they call "liver mush." It was kind of weird... But I like it! It's like sausage almost but you can taste the liver and it has corn meal in it. It's like a meaty corn bread. It probably sounds gross... But it really wasn't that bad. The big adventure will be trying fat back which is fried pig fat. Apparently Sister H is just dying to make us it. Sister Craig isn't too excited about it but I sure am! I'm just excited to experience the culture here in South Carolina while I can, you know?

- Sister Amy Christensen

Check out what street sign I found on the way home from Zone Conference!





No comments:

Post a Comment