Monday, January 13, 2014

Week 27 - West Columbia, SC - 1/13/14



Hey y’all –

Last P-Day, Bishop and Sister Fore took us to this Japanese Steakhouse to celebrate me leaving. Hahah. Well it was kind of the best. I mean this is the type of place where the chefs come prepare the food right in front of you. It was the first time that I've ever been to a place like that and I loved it! Bishop and Sister Fore told everyone that it was my birthday for some reason... But it was awesome because the steakhouse has this tradition that the chef will flip a small ball of rice with his spatula into the birthday person's mouth. Since it was my "birthday," I got to participate in that challenge. Guess what? I totally made it in my mouth! Another member of our ward was there and he recorded it all on his iPhone. I told him to email it to me when he could so I'll forward it to y'all when I get it. It was great! (My brother) Aaron would be proud of me.

And it's true. I'm out of Boiling Springs now. It's kind of sad. I loved that little area of mine and the people as well. It was pretty much my baby. I mean I was there since the beginning. But I had to leave. We went to transfers on Wednesday and I'm now in the polar opposite of where I've been serving for 1/3 of my mission... I'm now serving in West Columbia! I'm in the city again! I about had a heart attack when I saw how many buildings there are! Hahaha. Sad but true. My new companion is Sister Manning. She's from ID and she came out the same time as Sister Gardner. We get along pretty well right now! I enjoy being her companion anyway. It is a little weird though because I'm living with other sisters... And the other sisters just so happen to be the Traveling Sisters (The Sisters' version of AP). So that has been interesting but I'm excited to learn from them!

Get this. Our area just got a lot bigger because they made our elders biking elders. They took away their car so we gained a lot of people which has been great! And my first full two days out here we saw tons of miracles! We put four people on date! We're working with this less-active/part member family, the D’s - their daughter K accepted a baptismal date. Then we put this mother and daughter, A and D on date. And last but not least, we put T on date as well. We're so excited for all of them! We'll be meeting with them more this week so I'll let y'all know how that goes! We also had like five investigators at church yesterday which is apparently rare for this area so we have been extremely blessed this week!

We talked with Bishop Delpriore in Ward Council yesterday and he told us that 77% of our ward is less-active... 77%! He told us that number and my jaw literally dropped. We have our work cut out for us in this area and I'm just pumped to get to work! We're going to be reactivating like crazy!

Also we've had flash flood warnings two days in a row. Like to the point where our Zone Leaders were giving us texts saying that we had permission to be inside if we felt unsafe. We continued to go out and work because we've been booked with appointments. It's been crazy though. Mom, you'd be proud of me because I've been driving in this craziness and I've been doing well with it... Even though I was basically driving in a river but that's neither here nor there! We were safe and our car is still intact!

That's all I got for this week! I'm excited to see what this week has in store for us! We have a specialized training tomorrow but I have no idea what it'd be for... iPads maybe? Hahah. I can only hope, right? Anyway, I love y'all! Have a blessed week!

- Sister Amy Christensen

Me with my new companion, Sister Manning



No comments:

Post a Comment