Monday, August 25, 2014

Week 59 - Latta, SC - 8/25/14

Hello Family and Friends :)

It's been a crazy week here in Marion, SC! Mostly because it's the "dog days." I never really knew what the dog days were, even last summer because it was an unusually cool summer... But now I know. It has been extremely hot and humid. The mosquitoes are out like crazy! But apparently this last week was the hottest week of the year. It was in the 100's with the heat index and today it's in the high 70s/low 80s. No complaints here! But now I see why Florence + The Machine made a song about the dog days being over. It's kind of an exciting thing!

I don't know what it was about this week, but it was kind of a hard week. We were knocking and trying to see potentials/investigators but not having much luck especially toward the beginning of the week... But out of nowhere on Thursday, we started meeting all these people and having all these lessons! It was truly a miracle that happened "after the trial of [my] faith" (Ether 12:6).

I'll tell you a story from this last week! Sister Parker and I were about 7 miles away from home when we realized we forgot our junior area book (which has all of the addresses of people we go to visit) at home. We've been really low on our miles so we didn't want to go and get it especially since we planned to be in that area the whole day. It was pretty frustrating... But we decided to do what we could by memory and then go home for dinner. As we were out walking, we were both kicking ourselves for forgetting junior and I suddenly had the hymn, "Count Your Blessings" come to mind. So Sister Parker and I counted our blessings as we walked down streets and up to doors. It was amazing how fast that changed our attitudes! It shows that the Lord will truly bless us as we show him how grateful we are for the little things in life.

This past week, Elder Bednar gave a talk in BYU Education Week called "To Sweep the Earth as if a Flood." If you haven't had the chance to listen/read it, I want to invite you to do so now! I printed it up last week and it was amazing! He talks about how we can use technology to hasten the work. It makes me so excited to use social media when I get home to help people know more about the gospel! Here's the link and be sure to hashtag #ShareGoodness :)https://www.lds.org/prophets-and-apostles/unto-all-the-world/to-sweep-the-earth-as-with-a-flood?lang=eng

Anyway, I've got to get going! I love y'all! I hope you have a blessed week! Write me some letters ;)

- Sister Amy Christensen

The front license plate says "American by Birth." But I heard on an "I'm a Mormon" video something that completes that quote... "American by birth, Southern by the grace of God."

From sweat (walking around all day in 100+ degree weather) . . .

To wet (running out in a flash flood and standing at our investigator's house for literally a minute... he didn't answer)!

No comments:

Post a Comment