Monday, August 11, 2014

Week 57 - Latta, SC - 8/11/14



Hello Family and Friends!

It's been a great week here in Marion! I'll start out with one of our funnier stories. But before I tell you that story... I need to give you a preface. When we teach the Restoration, there's always a distraction that happens when we recite the First Vision, whether it be a cell phone or a child acting up. That's not even a joke. It probably happens 9 out of 10 times. We contacted this lady, M, just the other week and we went to appointment to teach her the Restoration on Thursday. Well we were literally about to recite the First Vision. I said "We'd like to use [Joseph's] own words to describe the experience..." Then a car pulled up and she was like "Oh that's my ride to the doctor's!" and just up and left! We didn't get to end with a prayer or get a return appointment or anything! We left the house with our jaws dropped. That was the most extreme distraction ever! But all we could do was laugh. Crazy.

Brother J is still doing fantastic! He's been to church twice and has been interviewed for baptism! He will be baptized this week! We are looking forward to it - especially because one of our recent converts, R accepted the invitation to baptized him! R and his wife, S were so excited when we asked him last night! We think that it will be a great opportunity for him. Anyway, please keep praying for Brother J! He's been amazing!

We also had a great day at church yesterday! We had 2 investigators there - M, who ran out before the First Vision, and Brother J - and R and S came with their family which was the first time that they've come as a family since I've been here! It was a total blessing! We were some happy sister missionaries!

Then after church, Sister Parker and I went over to S and R's house to clarify some things that were said in Sunday School yesterday. We had the most spiritual lesson ever with them about the Sacrament and about getting S and R to the temple! We were almost in tears because of how much the Spirit was there. We promised them a very specific blessing in order to get them to the temple by next March. They're going to make it! I just know it!

After we finished planning last night, we got a call from President Turner. He asked for me and I was scared that he was going to ask me to be emergency transferred especially since we had all these great events happening! But then he said "Your mother called me..." I knew that Grandma had passed away. It was really pretty sad but at the same time, I felt peace. I knew that Grandma was suffering and that it was time for her to go. The funny thing is on Saturday, we taught Brother J about eternal marriage. I explained to him about Grandma's situation and how I knew my family was being blessed for Grandma and Grandpa's righteous decision to be sealed in the temple. After he said "Well I know that through the temple, I won't have to worry so much about my family then." I realized the same is for us. We don't have to worry because of the knowledge we have of the Plan of Salvation. I know that we will see Grandma again and she will be perfected. I look forward to that day when we will all be reunited and see the blessings of a temple marriage.

Well that's it for this week! I love y'all! You're the best! I hope y'all have a blessed week!

- Sister Amy Christensen

Found this in the mailbox on Saturday! The best!

We love rainy Sundays! (And by rainy, I mean flash flood!)

I was basically in a jungle. No big deal, as the kids say!

No comments:

Post a Comment